ZAGREB, Croatia — A man threw an explosive device onto the grounds of the United States Embassy in Montenegro late Wednesday, but succeeded in killing only himself, Montenegrin and American officials said.
Around midnight local time, witnesses saw the man, who was not identified, throw an object over the wall of the embassy property in Podgorica, the capital, according to the government of Montenegro and to Steve Goldstein, the State Department’s under secretary for public diplomacy and public affairs. The blast killed the man but did not injure anyone in the embassy, which was closed for the night.
Montenegrin authorities said the assailant had committed suicide, and had not yet been identified. The embassy building was not damaged, but an explosion left a crater in the courtyard, officials said.
Newsletter Sign Up
Get the Morning Briefing by Email
What you need to know to start your day, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.
Thank you for subscribing.
An error has occurred. Please try again later.
You are already subscribed to this email.
Statements released by the Montenegrin government indicated that the bomber had used more than one explosive. One statement said that he “was killed due to the activation of an explosive device after having previously thrown an explosive device” onto the embassy grounds, and that the body was found “across the road from” the embassy. Another said that “one person was killed by activating explosive devices.”
“The Ministry of the Interior and the government of Montenegro condemn in the strongest terms the attack on the U.S. Embassy and express their regret at this event,” the government said.